Music and Beyond, Ways to Entertain
March 15, 2016
5:30 PM CDT - 8:30 PM CDT
Add to Calendar
The National Association for Catering and Events - Southern Wisconsin Chapter, MillerCoors and Saz’s Hospitality Group invite you to join us on Tuesday, March 15th!
“Music and Beyond, Ways to Entertain” will be the night’s educational topic and will be presented by
Sound by Design and ACA Entertainment.
Miller Caves – Networking and Reception
Frederick J. Miller’s famous Caves date back to 1849 when Charles Best and his brother dug tunnels in the hills behind the Plank Road Brewery. The Caves were all dug by hand and were constructed using a Belgian method of tunneling into soft soil. The walls of the Caves consisted of limestone bricks which were 44 inches thick. Frederick Miller purchased the Caves from the Best Brothers in 1855 and expanded the tunnels to a total of 600 feet into the hillside. This provided enough space to store 12,000 barrels of beer. To preserve the beer, blocks of ice were cut and transported here from surrounding ponds and lakes, including Lake Michigan. The ice was brought in from the street through a hole in the wall and packed with straw and sawdust. The ice was then used to line the walls of the Caves, thus insulating the caves year round. In addition to storing Fredrick Miller’s famous beer in a cool, dry place throughout the 1800’s and early 1900’s, the Caves were used for fermentation. From 1887 to 1892 mechanical refrigeration was introduced into the Miller Brewery, and gradually replaced the use of the Caves. By 1907 they were abandoned and were closed in favor of the use of these refrigeration alternatives.
The Caves were not utilized again by the Brewery until 1952, when Frederick C. Miller, the grandson of our founder, reopened a portion of this historic site as a museum for tourists, thus beginning the tour program. Some of the very same tools used are still displayed on our walls today and the current chamber is 15 feet wide and 16 feet wide. The Caves Museum was officially opened in October 1953, but closed from 1990 to 1993 for an extensive renovation project to restore and enhance the museum. In 1991 an engineering team studying the Caves said that they are likely the oldest surviving soft-earth tunnels of their size in North America.
Not only did Frederick bring the Caves back to Milwaukee, he was very involved in much of our great sports heritage here in SE Wisconsin. He played a major role in moving the Milwaukee Braves from Boston to Milwaukee in 1953. He coaxed then owner, Lou Perini, into building and subsequently moving the Braves into a newly built County Stadium. The Braves later played in consecutive World Series in both 1957 and 1958. Frederick didn’t stop at just baseball. He was very instrumental in building the Milwaukee Arena for basketball here in Milwaukee, and was an honorary coach for the Green Bay Packers, utilizing his football knowledge from his All-American days playing for Notre Dame.
Just like his Grandfather, Frederick C. Miller’s passion for sports, beer and camaraderie were abundant. He soon had a vision for the Caves space, even going so far as to dream of elegant dinners served inside them. This dream became a reality and the grand reopening of the Caves even included an appearance from Liberace. Ironically, on the night of his death in 1954, Frederick held one of the first dinners ever hosted right here in this very room. He left the dinner to head for the airport for a hunting trip with his eldest son, 20 year old Fred Jr. The plane, experiencing mechanical problems, crashed just one minute after takeoff and all were lost. It was a loss for Miller Brewing Company and Milwaukee alike.
Frederick C. Miller’s passion remains alive still today. In 2004, his historical beer-pairing Caves dinners were resurrected. These unique and memorable dinners remain a significant part of our community giving and internal hospitality operations year after year.
The Miller Inn – Dinner and Program
The Miller Inn is a tribute to the past, and preserves a long tradition of Frederick Miller’s hospitality and German ancestry in Milwaukee.
The original Miller Inn was built in 1855, soon after Frederick Miller brewed his first beer. He obtained a saloon license and built the Miller Inn at the base of the hill on State Street. There was a two lane bowling alley in what is now called Stein Hall, the long room on the main floor of the Miller Inn. Frederick Miller leased out the saloon to private individuals who lived upstairs with their families. Eventually, the upstairs rooms were used to house single brewery workers to spare them long travels back and forth to work at the Brewery. The upstairs rooms consisted of barracks, a mess hall and a kitchen.
In 1855, Frederick Miller also established a beautifully landscaped 20-acre beer garden in Milwaukee. This attracted weekend crowds for bowling, dancing, fine lunches and old fashioned "Gemutlichkeit”, meaning a situation that induces a cheerful mood and peace of mind, with a sense of belonging and social acceptance and unhurriedness. He also had a beer garden on the hill behind the present day Miller Inn with entertainment and food for families to enjoy on summer weekends. The original State Street beer garden was destroyed by a fire in 1891 and was ultimately torn down in 1909.
Four years after the death of Frederick Miller in 1888, the Miller Inn served as a commercial tavern up until Prohibition in 1919.
In 1898, the Miller Inn was remodeled into its present form. It was an era of “high German culture” in Milwaukee. The ceiling of the Miller Inn was painted to replicate the murals in the State Dining Room of the German Kaiser Wilhelm in Potsdam and the stained glass windows in the Miller Inn were imported from southern Germany. Additionally, there was an open air patio on the East roof of the Miller Inn, which was built in its present form around 1898.
After Prohibition, the first floor, presently known as Stein Hall, was used as a dance hall until 1950. In 1950, company president Fred C. Miller decided to remodel the Miller Inn and take over operations, making it a center for welcoming visitors. In 1951, the Miller Inn resumed operations to provide hospitality rooms and was refurbished into three different old-style German bar rooms. The second floor was remodeled into the High Life Room and Champagne Room. The hallways and walls are filled with steins and old memorabilia from as far back as the 19th century. Noted designer Brooks Stevens and his Associates were heavily involved in the conversion and remodeling of the interior of the Miller Inn. His team gave it the appearance of an Old World Rathskeller, reminiscent of a quaint and lively old German beer hall, while preserving “castle-like” exterior.
Throughout the 1950s and 1960s, the Miller Inn became a focus for Miller’s hospitality and was a cornerstone in the community. In addition to Packers legends Paul Hornung and Jim Taylor, many celebrities were welcomed through its doors including Jack Dempsey, Liberace, Hildegarde, Lawrence Welk and John Unitas. In 1955, Miller Brewing Company celebrated its 100th anniversary and built a replica facade of the original Plank Road Brewery. This building still exists today and is just East of the Miller Inn on State Street. In 1957, there was a national radio broadcast done from the Miller Inn.
To this day, the Miller Inn remains a focal point for introducing visitors to “Miller Time”. Every year, , over 100,000 tour guests sample here after their tour experience. In addition, hundreds of events are held on-site every year, continuing the tradition of Miller Hospitality.
The Evening Menu
530pm-630pm – Registration, Networking, Appetizers
630pm - 830pm – Program and Dinner
Complimentary MillerCoors Products
Beer-Buttered Bayou Shrimp
Cajun-Marinated Shrimp with Blue Moon White IPA Reduction and Sweet Cream Butter
Field & Pasture
Flakey Phyllo layered with airy Goat Cheese Mousse, Pea Pesto and Grilled Vegetable Dice
Petite Meatballs bathed in Leinenkugel’s Big Butt Doppelbock reduction and Veal Demi-Glace
Indian Chicken Bite
Tandoori Chicken Salad perched atop Curry Naan, finished with Beet Threads
Grilled Stone Fruit
Spring Green Bundles, Grana Padano, Grilled Stone Fruit and Micro Watercress, finished with Blue Moon Aged Balsamic Vinaigrette
Redd’s Braised Short Rib
Oven Braised, Fork-Tender Black Angus Short Rib complemented with Roasted Tomato Pesto Smashed Potatoes and Season-Peak Ramp and Fiddle Head Duet, finished with Redd’s Strawberry Ale Demi
Leinenkugel’s Bread Pudding
From Downtown Milwaukee or Chicago, follow Interstate 94 West to Hwy 41 North.
From Madison, follow Interstate 94 East to Hwy 41 North.
From Green Bay, follow Interstate 43 South to interstate 94 West to Hwy 41 North.
From Hwy 41 North,
*Take the State Street/ Vliet Street exit.
*At the stop sign turn right. (Follow signs to State St and the Miller Visitor Center)
*At the stoplight turn left onto State Street. The Miller Visitor Cen-ter is the first building on the right.
The Miller Inn and Historic Miller Caves are located three blocks east of the Miller Visitor Center.
Southern Wisconsin NACE 2015/2016 Charity Partner:
With a mission to build a strong community by strengthening individuals, families, and the neighborhood, Neighborhood House has been on the front lines in the fight against inner-city poverty in Milwaukee for 70 years.
Founded in 1945 as a safe and nurturing place for urban youth, families and seniors, Neighborhood House has grown into a modern, 60,000 square-foot facility that has served more than a third million children and adults. Today NH serves over 4,000 people annually and provides accredited preschools, programs for kids, teens, and families.
Neighborhood House serves families from its main facility on Milwaukee’s west side, and its 93-acre Nature Center in Dodge County. While our traditional service area is bounded by 35th Street on the west, 20th Street on the east, Cherry Street on the north, and Wisconsin Avenue on the south, many families come to our locations from other parts of the metro area. The central city neighborhoods we serve include all or parts of Concordia, Avenues West, Merrill Park, Cold Spring Park, and Midtown. Our west side locations include Neighborhood House itself at 2819 N. Richardson Place, our International Learning Center at 639 N. 25th Street, and our Community Learning Center in Story School at 3815 W. Kilbourn Avenue.
See whats happening at NACE by clicking our social media buttons below
$45.00 Member Ticket
$55.00 after 05:00 pm March 9
$45.00 Sponsored Non-Member or Spouse
$55.00 after 5:00 pm March 9
$65.00 Guest Ticket
$75.00 after 5:00 pm March 9
$5.00 Raffle Ticket- 3
$20.00 Raffle Ticket- 2 Arms Length
$10.00 Raffle Ticket- 1 Arms Length
September NACE Meeting
The Ivy House
906 S Barclay St
Milwaukee, WI 53204